Town of Ponoka Curbside Collection to be Simplified Beginning January 1
To know more about Curbside Collection please click here.
Ponoka Civic Building Flags at Half-Mast on Remembrance Day
The flags at the Ponoka Civic Building will be lowered to half-mast from sunrise to sunset on Monday, November 11 to mark Remembrance Day and honour the memory of all Canadians who have served their country in time of war.
We Want Your Input on the Proposed Animal Control Bylaw
The proposed new Animal Control Bylaw would require dogs and cats aged six months and older in Ponoka to be licensed annually and regulated under the new bylaw.
Ponoka’s existing Animal Control Bylaw only regulates dogs. The addition of cats is being proposed in response to community concerns expressed over the past number of years.
Other provisions in the new proposed Animal Control Bylaw include:
- A new definition for ‘aggressive dog’
- New licence fees for cats, dogs and aggressive dogs. These fees are lower for neutered and spayed animals (with documented proof) and for licences purchased before a specified deadline date
- New requirements for control of cats, dogs and aggressive dogs
- New penalties for bylaw offences, and specific penalties that apply only to aggressive dogs
- A process for the Town Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) to issue an ‘aggressive dog’ designation, which would require the dog owner to comply with aggressive dog regulations under the proposed bylaw
- Requirements for proof that a cat or dog is licensed, and proof of a cat or dog’s age
- Making it an offence for any person who owns or occupies a property to keep more than five cats and dogs (in total) on that property (unless the property is occupied by a licensed veterinarian or a kennel operator in accordance with a development permit under the Town’s Land Use Bylaw)
To View the Proposed Bylaw, CLICK HERE
To fill out the online survey & offer your input on the bylaw, CLICK HERE
For details on the Public Consultation Process for the proposed bylaw, and the Public Open House on Nov. 27, CLICK HERE
Don't Miss Ponoka's Santa Claus Parade on November 22!
It's all part of Light Up Ponoka and the annual Almost Midnight Madness event in Downtown Ponoka on Friday, Nov. 22! The parade starts at 5 pm followed by a Christmas tree lighting, hot dogs, cookies, hot chocolate and carol singing at 5:30 pm beside the old library (5110-48 Ave.).
The Santa Claus parade begins at 52 Ave. and winds through Downtown Ponoka along the following route:
- south along 51 St.,
- east down 51 Ave.,
- south on 50 St.,
- west on 50 Ave.,
- south on 51 St. again,
- and west on 48 Ave. to the old fire hall.
The Town of Ponoka is sponsoring sleigh rides Downtown from 6 - 8 pm. The County and Town of Ponoka are also sponsoring FIREWORKS over the river valley at 8:30 pm!
Take a sleigh ride to the Ponoka Jubilee Library for Christmas crafts and hot chocolate from 6 - 8 pm. And join us as we light up Lions Centennial Park on Hwy 2A at 7:30 pm! Of course, take advantage of great Midnight Madness deals at Ponoka businesses all evening and don't forget to visit the Ponoka Community Market at the old library from 3 - 9 pm! Ho, ho, ho!!
Crews Wrap Up Busy Construction Season in Ponoka
To read the News Release, please click here.