Residential Waste & Recycling Program
2019 CURBSIDE WASTE, RECYCLING AND COMPOST PROGRAM
For a copy of the 2019 Collection Calendars and waste program information click on this link
Wednesday is Collection Day for Residents in Zone 2 [between Highway 2A and the Battle River]
Thursday is Collection Day for Residents in Zone 1 [east of the Battle River in Riverside area]
Friday is Collection Day for Residents in Zone 3 [west of Highway 2A in Lucas Heights]
* Please note that Bags of RECYLE items will be picked up and the GREY garbage cart will be emptied on the same collection day by two different trucks *
Compostable organic waste in the GREEN carts will be emptied weekly from May 1 to October 31 and bi-weekly from November 1 to April 30.
*No plastic bags please* All items put into the green cart can be dumped in as loose material or put in compostable bags.
Click on this link for a list of "What goes IN and what stays OUT" of the green carts!
Important facts about the Town’s expanded curbside waste, recycling and composting service that began on January 2, 2019 are:
Waste, recycling and compost will continue to be collected at the front curb
Compostable organic waste in the green carts will be emptied weekly from May 1 to October 31 and bi-weekly from November 1 to April 30
The GREY cart with household garbage waste will be emptied PLUS bags of recycle items will be picked up bi-weekly year round on the same day as shown on the Collection Schedule for each zone
Bags of recyclables will continue to be collected bi-weekly year round on the same day that the grey cart is emptied as shown in the Collection Schedule for each zone
Click here for a list of acceptable recycling materials.
Thank you for your patience and we look forward to a very positive experience with this enhanced service.
Please call 403-783-0159 for more information and to report missed collections.
For full details about the Town’s Waste, Recycling and Compost Program, please click on the links below.
- 2019 Waste & Recycling Program Collection Schedule – All Zones
- 2019 Acceptable Recycling Materials
- 2019 Green Cart "What goes IN and what stays OUT"
Paper copies are available at the Town office at the address #200 5604 50 Street, Ponoka AB T4J 1G5.
Items that are not accepted in the Town recycling program:
- Glass - ceramic/clay pots, plate glass, chinaware/porcelain, regular & fluorescent light bulbs, windows, mirrors, pyrex items
- Metals - gasoline/fuel containers, automotive oil containers, shock absorbers, all batteries
- Plastic - biodegradable bags, plastics #3 - #7, styrofoam plastics (cups, plates, etc.), styrofoam egg cartons, plastic bags that don't have a recycle symbol, plastic food wrap, diapers, dishes and cutlery, gasoline containers and motor oil containers
- Rinse all cans and plastic #1 & #2 containers.
- Cans may be flattened to make more room.
- Keep all items separate (e.g. do not place items in plastic #1 or #2 containers).
- Rinse, remove labels and caps then crush plastic containers.
- Flatten cardboard boxes and box board. Remove all waxed paper, cellophane and plastic handles. Keep dry.
Some of the items that are accepted at the Waste Transfer Station for the Hazardous Waste Program are:
- pesticides and herbicides
- aerosol paint cans, non-paint aerosol cans
- paint, stain
- household cleaners
- call 403-783-8328 for more information about what is accepted
Electronics can be recycled at Ponoka County’s Waste Transfer Station located south on Highway 2A, turn at Ponoka Chrysler on to 39 Avenue, go west ½ mile, it is on the south side of the road. They accept televisions, computer monitors, CPUs, keyboards, cables, mice, speakers, laptops, notebook computers and printers for recycling. For more information on electronics recycling, please visit the Electronics Recycling Association's website.