Residential Waste & Recycling Program
2019 CURBSIDE WASTE, RECYCLING AND COMPOSTING UPDATE
We have been paying attention to your questions and comments related to the changes in the curbside collection program for waste, recycling and compost. The following information is provided to answer those questions and add clarity to the transition period.
Time difference between pick up of current carts and delivery of the new carts
GFL Pick-up of Current Carts
CAN PAK Delivery of New Carts
December 20 – 24
Prior to January 1, 2019
December 20 – 24
The above schedule will ensure residents will not be without carts over the busy holiday season. Residents can still set out their recycling at the curb in clear or transparent blue plastic bags the following week on December 24, 27 and 28. The collection schedule will continue uninterrupted with the grey bins and recycling collected every second week, and green compost bins now collected on the alternate weeks beginning in January 2019.
Concerns that the carts must be emptied prior to pickup.
Residents are asked to place both the grey and green carts out for pick up. If material is left in the green carts, they will still be picked up as long as the cart lids are closed. As this will be your scheduled pick up day, the contractor will also be collecting waste in the grey carts.
What about service to condominiums?
There have been no changes made with respect to residential housing areas. If you currently receive curbside pick-up, this service will continue.
Do I need to place animal waste and meat in bags in the compost carts?
Ponoka’s new expanded curbside collection program that begins Jan. 2, 2019 will include a full organic, green cart compost program that will allow Ponoka residents to compost food waste and yard waste year round in their green carts, including kitchen food scraps, meat, fish, bones, food-soiled paper and cardboard, pet waste and cat litter (loose or in compostable bags), wood shavings, coffee grinds, tea bags, popsicle sticks (wooden), toothpicks (wooden), cooking oil (small amounts), nuts and shells.
All items placed in your green cart after Jan 1, 2019 can be dumped in as loose material. As stated above, pet waste and cat litter can be loose or in compostable bags. No plastic bags please. Click on this link for a list of "What goes IN and what stays OUT"
Other important facts About the Town’s expanded curbside waste, recycling and composting service that begins Jan. 2, 2019:
- Organic waste in the green carts will be picked up weekly from May 1 – October 31; and bi-weekly from November 1 – April 30.
- Household garbage will continue to be picked up bi-weekly year round.
- Recyclables will continue to be picked up bi-weekly year round.
- Waste, recycling and compost will continue to be picked up at the front curbside.
Changes to Collection Schedules
There will be very few changes to the collection schedules:
- Residents in Zone 2 whose waste is currently picked on Mondays will have their collection day moved to Wednesdays beginning January 2.
- Residents in Zones 1 and 3 whose waste is picked up on Thursdays and Fridays will see no change to their collection schedule.
- Recyclables and garbage will be picked up on the same day, beginning on January 2. Compost in the green carts will be picked up on alternate weeks.
- After Jan. 2, 2019, if your collection day falls on Christmas or New Year’s Day, your waste, recycling or compost collection will be bumped to the next weekday.
The Collection Calendars will be included with your next utility bill - click on this is the link 2019 Waste & Recycling Program Collection Schedule – All Zones for the 2019 calendar and information.
Click here for a list of acceptable recycling materials.
We look forward to the residents of Ponoka receiving an increased level of service through the new Solid Waste Management Program without any additional costs. Additionally, Can Pak will be providing contact phone numbers and an email address to receive any concerns. This information will also be posted on the Town’s website once available.
Thank you for your patience during this transition period and we look forward to a very positive experience with this enhanced service.
*Waste & Recycling Program with contractor GFL ends on the 31 of December 2018*
The Town of Ponoka offers its utility customers a 3-stream, curbside, residential Waste & Recycling Program which includes:
- a Grey cart for waste/garbage,
- recycling is to be placed at the curb in blue or clear transparent bags,
- a Green cart for yard waste e.g. grass clippings, twigs and small branches, other plant/compost material.
The grey cart for garbage is picked up every other week then the bags of recycle materials are picked up the opposite week; the green compost cart is collected every week from May 3 to October 29 in 2018. The Town has been divided into three zones. Each zone is scheduled for a different day of the week - click on schedules below for the calendar for 2018.
For full details about the Town’s Waste & Recycling Program, please click on the links below.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Waste & Recycling Program Information Pamphlet
- List of Acceptable Items for Recycling Program
- 2018 Waste & Recycling Program Collection Schedule – Zone 1 – Thursdays
- 2018 Waste & Recycling Program Collection Schedule – Zone 2 – Mondays
- 2018 Waste & Recycling Program Collection Schedule – Zone 3 – Fridays
- 2019 Waste & Recycling Program Collection Schedule – All Zones
- 2019 Acceptable Recycling Materials
- 2019 Green Cart "What goes IN and what stays OUT"
Paper copies are available at the Town office; the address is #200 5604 50 Street, Ponoka AB T4J 1G5
Items that are not accepted for the Town recycling program:
- Glass - ceramic/clay pots, plate glass, chinaware/porcelain, regular & fluorescent light bulbs, windows, mirrors, pyrex items
- Metals - gasoline/fuel containers, automotive oil containers, shock absorbers, all batteries
- Plastic - biodegradable bags, plastics #3 - #7, styrofoam plastics (cups, plates, etc.), styrofoam egg cartons, plastic bags that don't have a recycle symbol, plastic food wrap, diapers, dishes and cutlery, gasoline containers and motor oil containers
- Rinse and remove labels from all cans.
- Cans may be flattened to make more room.
- Keep all items separate (e.g. don't place items in jars).
- Rinse, remove labels and caps and crush plastic containers.
- Flatten cardboard boxes and box board. Remove all waxed paper, cellophane and plastic handles. Keep dry.
Some of the items that are accepted at the Waste Transfer Station for the Town household hazardous waste program are:
- pesticides and herbicides
- aerosol paint cans, non-paint aerosol cans
- paint, stain
- household cleaners
- call 403-783-8328 for more information about what is accepted
Electronics can be recycled at Ponoka County’s Waste Transfer Station located south on Highway 2A, turn at Ponoka Chrysler on to 39 Avenue, go west ½ mile, it is on the south side of the road. They accept televisions, computer monitors, CPUs, keyboards, cables, mice, speakers, laptops, notebook computers and printers for recycling. For more information on electronics recycling, please visit the Electronics Recycling Association's website.