Electrical Distribution Tariff, Terms, and Conditions
Default service providers for electrical:
Electrical - 310-2010
Utilities Consumer Advocate:
For more information and advice on your choices for utilities the Utilities Consumer Advocate represents your interests in Alberta's electricity and gas markets.
(403) 310-4822. Historical rate information can be found on the Utilites Consumer Advocate website, see the link below.
Town of Ponoka Distribution System
Distributed Generation Connection Services
If you are considering installing an electric generator at your residence or business site, the Town of Ponoka Distribution System can help you complete the process in a timely and safe manner. Distributed generation simply refers to smaller sources of electricity supply that are distributed at various locations rather than one large supply source at a single location. As technology continues to develop, more options exist for residents and commercial property owners to supply all or a portion of their electrical requirements with their own equipment. As your local electric distributor, the Town of Ponoka plays a key role in the connection of small generation to the provincial electric grid.
Distributed generators come in many different types, sizes and configurations. The type of generator is generally defined whether the fuel source is renewable (solar, wind, biomass, geothermal, hydro,) or an alternative energy type like a natural gas or hydrogen based fuel cell with low greenhouse gas intensity. Although the characteristics are different for each generator type, the Town has processes in place to connect all types of generators and evaluate any effects on the distribution system.
The Government of Alberta has streamlined processes for distributors to connect small renewable generation sources, referred to as micro-generators, in support of climate change initiatives. The general steps in the Town’s connection process from application to energization are as follows:
- Complete and submit the Town of PonokaDistributed Generation Application form with all supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Discussions may be required with the Applicant to establish the technical connection requirements.
- The Town will confirm the completeness of the Application information and approve applications that are in compliance with the Micro-Generation Regulation if applicable.
- The Town will determine if the Applicant would be responsible for any connection costs and discuss these with the Applicant.
- Applicant seeks Building, Electrical and Development Permits as required by the Town.
- Applicant compensates Town for non-standard costs and signs Town of Ponoka Generation Interconnection Agreement.
- Applicant notifies Retailer of pending generation connection.
- Town conducts inspections for approval of required permits.
- Town installs metering equipment and completes connection.
Town of Ponoka Distributed Generation Application form,
Town of Ponoka Distributed Generation Interconnection Agreement,
Town of Ponoka Distribution Tariff Terms and Conditions of Service.
These documents can be found here
For further information, view these industry resource documents: