On behalf of Town Council, I extend a warm welcome to all visitors, including new and prospective residents to our community. Directly off the Queen Elizabeth II Highway, Ponoka, the Stampede Town, offers something for everyone.
In Ponoka, you’ll find a friendly, safe and prosperous community that welcomes visitors year ‘round. During your stay you will discover that here in Ponoka, we value being authentic and true to our roots, with a relaxed and enjoyable community that balances the best of rural and urban lifestyles.
Ponoka offers an eclectic array of shopping, dining, recreation and other services that provide authentic, local experiences to visitors and residents. To make the most of your visit to Ponoka, we recommend that visitors:
- Browse a variety of specialty and niche shops.
- Savour authentic dining experiences.
- Try your swing at one of the two world-class golf courses.
- Learn our history at historic Fort Ostell Museum and the Canadian Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame.
- Play at our parks, including Lions Centennial Park which offers a fishing pond, Skate Park and a Splash Park.
- Take pictures, hike and enjoy nature on approximately 10 km of trail systems along the lush Battle River Valley or hike the trails at the 635 acre J.J. Collett Natural area just south of town.
- Visit the Town’s recreation facilities including the Aquaplex, tennis courts and sports fields.
- Enjoy ongoing events at the Calnash Trucking Ag Event Centre as well as the world-renowned Annual Ponoka Stampede every July.
Ponoka is an attractive and progressive community where people of all ages enjoy a high quality of life. We invite you to consider Ponoka as a great place to relocate. Ponoka offers affordable residential, farm, industrial and commercial properties including senior/retiree and low cost housing.
The Town of Ponoka is also a great place to start or grow a business. Boasting one of Alberta’s lowest utility and tax structures, we offer competitive infrastructure, excellent transportation route access, a skilled workforce and an authentic quality of life. Whatever your business needs, we are eager to help you begin your search and answer your questions.
The Town of Ponoka has excellent schools and resources; in fact, Ponoka’s Composite High School is a model for modern classrooms and technologically progressive learning. Ponoka is also home to the Centennial Centre for Mental Health and Brain Injury. This world class facility is one of the province's largest providers of comprehensive mental health and brain injury services.
Grant McEwan University offers a three-year Psychiatric Nursing Program from the Centennial Centre Site. The Town is working on creating a walk-able community, with other senior-friendly initiatives planned for the future.
As a Council, we are extremely proud of our community and continuously challenge ourselves to improve the quality of life for residents, businesses and visitors. As Mayor, I invite you to enjoy your stay in Ponoka. I am confident you will enjoy the authentic flavour of our Town. Please take your time to explore our thriving businesses and the Town’s impressive natural surroundings. We look forward to welcoming you back to our community soon!