Summary of the FOIP Act
- You have the right to request access to records held by the Town of Ponoka, subject to limited and specific exceptions.
- You have the right to access information that the Town has about you.
- You have the right to request the Town to correct personal information it has about you.
- The Act controls the way in which the Town may collect personal information from you, controls the use that the Town may make of your personal information and controls how the Town can disclose information about you.
- You have the right to request independent review of any issue related to FOIP by the Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner.
Information is often made routinely available through official publications and websites, or over the phone. Public bodies have policies that allow staff to provide certain categories of information on request so you often do not need to use the process provided under the FOIP Act to obtain access to the vast majority of information held by public bodies in Alberta.
Before making a FOIP request, it may be helpful to contact the public body concerned for advice on the most appropriate method of obtaining access to the information you need. If other methods do not satisfy your needs, a formal request for access to information under the FOIP Act ("a FOIP request") may be the best way to proceed.
Accessing Information Under the FOIP Act
If you would like to make a request for information under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, you may complete the Access to Information Form and return it by mail or fax to the address below. If you are making a request for general information, there is an initial fee of $25. Additional fees may be charged for processing costs in excess of $150. There is no fee for a request for personal information unless the cost of producing copies exceeds $10.
If you are not sure if your request falls under the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, please do not hesitate to email the FOIP Coordinator.
|Government of Alberta FOIP Website|
|Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of Alberta|
|Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada|
|Municipal Government Act|
|Access and Privacy Coordinator|
200, 5604 50 Street
Ponoka, AB T4J 1G5
Fax: (403) 783-4086